Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Place Value..


It was a usual summer evening.. A cool late- evening breeze flowing by my window.. A mug of coffee in my hand, I was staring at the sky, birds chirping happily and trees dancing to their tune.. "We have a 5 room apartment and you are always found here, in this corner by the window!", I remembered my mom's words.. "Aah! mom", I always sighed.. "If only you could see this, the way I see it.. "

6 years ago, when I had first entered this "under-construction" structure, this window caught my eye.. the whole place was cement clad, dark, dingy, somber.. Only the window added life to that place.. In that chilly place, the window was my only bond with the outside world..

The window had been with me through thicks and thins.. It had been a friend I never had before.. It always knew my feelings and understood me so well.. It always knew what it had to show me..

Once I had a dispiriting day.. A mug of coffee in my hand, I went to the window. Staring out of it, opened a world outside of my own.. In that world, there was no place for my problems.. There were kids playing "catch - catch" and aunties gossiping.. While trying to guess what the aunties were into, I had forgotten my own problems.. But for the window, the room would still have been a room but not MY room..

First Love.. A feeling worth sharing with all around you.. But I chose to sit by the window and let the experience sink in me.. I chose to tell her.. Breeze and the smell of wet mud is what she had chosen to react with! Oh, how did she know me so well..

Anger, frustration, grief, distress.. All the feelings vanished when I sat by her. That cool air calmed my nerves and the solace took over me.. Tranquil is all I was left with when I sat there, staring at the blue sky..

As my mom saw it, it was just a corner of a huge home.. As I saw it, it was my teacher, my friend, my interface to the world..

7 comments:

  1. My God Neha.. Dis is awesome.. U knw everyone has dis one place in the world that they always go to when they need their 'alone time' and its like therapy. I can totally relate to dis n also its awesomely written. To be able to articulate such deep feelings is a gift...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey .. Great to have a review from you :) :) Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thumbs up to this Neha Naik!!! :-) I know this window you are talking about!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that special place really brings the calm and comfort to our mind.. can really relate well to this post..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to bring out a familiar topic :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. u write such relatable stuff!! beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete